I have had a wire mannequin for awhile and never really used it to its potential. I believe that happened as it was simply uninspiring due to it being all made of twisted wires providing its shape. But when I saw this creation on the internet there was my inspiration. The skirt is made from chicken wire which makes a great armature when building larger pieces. If you needed a floor display or a large form, this would be a great way to go.
The wire mannequin I have stands about 25″ tall so it is good for a tabletop display. The form in the inspiration picture has a paper bodice. That is a great look but I needed something quick and easy so I planned on using plain muslin. Using dressmaker’s pattern tissue is also effective when embellishing dress forms. I have done that effectively with the plastic half-forms often seen in clothing stores hanging on a wall rack featuring blouses or sweaters.
I decided to use unbleached basket style coffee filters. I found using a single one at a time was better than making the pouf with two. I folded the filter in half and lightly scrunched it together forming a floral pouf. Then I twisted the center part together making something like a stem. Because the dress form was open weave there were plenty of spaces to push the stem in. It was better to over-fill as it helped keep the poufs staying put and making the skirt full and fluffy.
As the filter poufs were just going to be a skirt, I stopped around the middle and found a vintage remnant from a pillow case. It fit just right so I used it for the bodice. I had some burlap ribbon to use as a sash and created a separate burlap ribbon bow. I finished with an embellishment of a rhinestone pin.